Facial WastingFacial Wasting

belly fat(leptin)

yes, i was wondering if this leptin I was reading about would help me,I have really bad and fat looking belly fat, and has been a problem for sometime now,i would love to try something that would reduce the belly fat and i mean alot, I requested about a month or so ago, a question and no one would get back to me as far as this problem or if herbal supplements would work or what would be best,i am currently on-truvada, Norvir, lexiva,also a number of other meds, my doctor doesn't really answer my questions, i'm thinking about switching doctors, not really happy with him lately,and by the way I have been HIV POSITIVE for 24 years, I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions you could give me,Thanks William.

Hello, and thanks for posting.

A recent study suggested that Leptin might be useful for treatment of lipohypertrophy. This medication is at a very early stage in testing for this indication in HIV patients, so we need to see how the follow-up studies play out.

I am not aware of any data showing beneficial effects of herbal supplements on body fat.

You are on a protease inhibitor-based regimen (Norvir & Lexiva) and this class of drugs is most closely linked to boosting belly fat. Depending on your treatment history and presence of drug resistance, it might be possible to switch you off the protease inhibitors. You would need to discuss this possibility with your doctor. However, since your doctor does not answer your questions, it sounds like to need to fire him and move on to a different doctor.

Good luck!

I have a big belly
What a poor situation I am in! please advise.