Facial WastingFacial Wasting

what about facial lipoatrophy sufferers in Africa?

Hello Doc. i am really depressed about my facial wasting. i recently underwent general body check-up and everything seems to be ok. My cd4 count is about 500.but unfortunately my face is wasting way. We are not priviledged enough in my country to have doctors who can treat this. I believe i can cope better with the disease if i look better.please help me!

Hello and thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, the most common regimens in Africa and also many other parts of the world contain AZT or d4T, the antiretroviral agents that are most closely linked to facial lipoatrophy. This is starting to change with increased availability of Viread (tenofovir) in some parts of the world. So if there is any way to get this medication substituted for AZT or d4T it may help with recovery of your face.

I am not aware of any programs in Africa that have active treatment of facial wasting with facial fillers, but I will ask around.

Good luck!

PMMA in the legs
Paying for Nufill for facial lipoatrophy