Facial WastingFacial Wasting

any specific test for wasting

Is there a specific test to see if you are wasting? I have been Hiv positive for 19 years... I am 6ft/ about 160lbs, I am nothing but skin wrapped around bones. any help??? thanks Tom

Hi Tom,

The best test is the mirror test. If you have been on medications for a prolonged period and see skin and bones in the mirror, then you have wasting.

Now, what to do about it? The first thing is to make sure that you are not still on a medication linked to development of lipoatrophy. The prime culprits are d4T (Zerit), AZT (Combivir, Retrovir, Trizivir as examples), and ddI (Videx). If you are on one of these medications then switching to an alternative agent would be advisable.

For facial lipoatrophy, fillers are quite effective. For body lipoatrophy, we do not have any proven medications to reverse fat loss. However, testosterone and anabolic steroids may be helpful for some patients.

Good luck!

Proactive approach to avoid facial and body wasting
Fillers for atrophy around the eye?