Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Discrimination because of facial lipoatrophy

I have lipoatrophy in my face. I recently got a job in which I have to schedule appointments with a city agency for inspections. I was told by the person with whom I have to schedule these appointments with that he did not want to see my face more than once a week. I am told that there is no policy that states that he can do that. This has affected me so that I do not want to be seen in public again. I would like to know if anyone else has gone through this and any recommendations for low cost fillers that are out there. I feel I have been discriminated against. Thank you, JoAnne

Hello and sorry to hear about your experience. There is no question that lipoatrophy has a significant impact on self image and these morphologic changes are perceived by others as well.

The good news is that facial fillers are very effective at reversing the changes of lipoatrophy. In the United States, Radiesse and Sculptra are both FDA approved for this indication and there are patient assistance programs to help pay for the treatment.

Here is the Radiesse patient assistance web site and for Sculptra you can call 1-800-Sculptra for information.

Good luck!

Belly bulge and Isentress
Sculptra Provider in Boston