Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Testosterone and muscle gain follow up

I recently submitted a question regarding steroid use and the benefits of using it. I did get a response from you and I thank you for the insight. I have in the mean time gone to my VA doctor and opted to go with testosteron patches instead in the possibility that I may gain back muscle loss due to the med's I've been on for the past 15 or so year's. My question is; he started me out on 2.5mg patches and I'm just wondering if the dosage is even enough for muscle gain. He explained to me that 2.5mg actually equates to a higher dosage being administered throughout your body by way of time release during and after a four hour time period. Just wondering what the actual emission to the body actually is in mg's so that I can get a better understanding as to the benefit's of it all, and how long before I can expect to notice a difference in muscle gain? The reason for testosteron vs. steroid's forme were the side effect's that steroid's can have on a person. I think I made the right choice from what I read on your site.

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Testosterone replacement therapy can be delivered through a variety approaches that include patches, gel, and intramuscular injection. There are different doses that allow individualization of treatment. You were started on an entry dose of 2.5 mg and this may be all that you need. If it is not enough, then the dose may be raised to 5mg daily. Like most medications, the higher the dose, the greater the intended effect, and the greater the risk of side effects. So it really comes down to finding the right dose for you over time.

Baseline testosterone levels vary with age, so it is difficult to estimate what the intrinsic production of testosterone is (in mg equivalents) for a man. Testosterone is highest at age 18 or so and it is a downhill slide for the rest of life (like many things, alas). Muscle gain with weight resistance training starts pretty quickly in response to testosterone.

Good luck!

bio alcamid
Belly bulge and Isentress