Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testosterone and muscle gain follow up
May 23, 2009

I recently submitted a question regarding steroid use and the benefits of using it. I did get a response from you and I thank you for the insight. I have in the mean time gone to my VA doctor and opted to go with testosteron patches instead in the possibility that I may gain back muscle loss due to the med's I've been on for the past 15 or so year's. My question is; he started me out on 2.5mg patches and I'm just wondering if the dosage is even enough for muscle gain. He explained to me that 2.5mg actually equates to a higher dosage being administered throughout your body by way of time release during and after a four hour time period. Just wondering what the actual emission to the body actually is in mg's so that I can get a better understanding as to the benefit's of it all, and how long before I can expect to notice a difference in muscle gain? The reason for testosteron vs. steroid's forme were the side effect's that steroid's can have on a person. I think I made the right choice from what I read on your site.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Testosterone replacement therapy can be delivered through a variety approaches that include patches, gel, and intramuscular injection. There are different doses that allow individualization of treatment. You were started on an entry dose of 2.5 mg and this may be all that you need. If it is not enough, then the dose may be raised to 5mg daily. Like most medications, the higher the dose, the greater the intended effect, and the greater the risk of side effects. So it really comes down to finding the right dose for you over time.

Baseline testosterone levels vary with age, so it is difficult to estimate what the intrinsic production of testosterone is (in mg equivalents) for a man. Testosterone is highest at age 18 or so and it is a downhill slide for the rest of life (like many things, alas). Muscle gain with weight resistance training starts pretty quickly in response to testosterone.

Good luck!

Previous
bio alcamid
Next
Belly bulge and Isentress

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.