Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Facial wasting!

Hi and firstly thanks for providing such a great service. Can you please inform me if facial wasting and fat accumulation around the lower back can be caused by my meds? Im on Ritonivir/Darunivir and Truvada???? I just returned from my latest blood tests and even the nurse I see often commented on it but I dont see my consultant until May! I live in the UK and attend Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge where i receive great treatment! Just concerned as it does seem to be dropping from my face very rapidly but feel great! CD4 798 and Viral Load <40.

Thanks.

Hello, and thanks for posting.

There is no question that HIV medications may produce body shape changes. The protease inhibitors (ritonavir and darunavir in your case) are clearly linked to fat accumulation. This pattern of fat tends to involve visceral fat predominantly, but sometimes there will be odd deposits around the upper chest, neck, and other spots.

Lipoatrophy is more likely to occur as a complication of the older nucleoside medications such as AZT, d4T, and ddI. It may occur in patients on Truvada, but not commonly.

I hope that this information helps and best of luck to you!

Facial Wasting Coverage
Lipoatrophy from Truvada Norvir Reyataz?