Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Can tamoxifen worsen lipoatrophy?

Long story short, hiv poz on Sustiva, getting gynecomastia from Sustiva most likely maybe in combo with Propecia. Had all hormones checked, all normal. Began using Tamoxifen to reduce the gyno thats starting.. Afer about 4 months it does seem to be getting better, and my doctor agrees. However my dermatologist seems to think the Tamoxifen is affecting my Sculptra and the fullness seems to be going away much much faster than usual..I also have had my hand and feet get much more boney since being on Tamoxifen. I know this is all new territory, but would this make sense to you? Tamoxifen affecting Sculpta? I did a google search for Tamoxifen and lipoatrophy/lipodystrophy and I do find some articles that look related, however they are pretty complicated to understand..

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Yes, you are right about this being the first time that I have heard of this potential association. It seems possible, but no mechanism for the fat loss comes readily to mind.

Your situation does prompt another question - why take a medication to treat the side effect of another medication? Since Sustiva is the likely culprit producing gynecomastia, why not change Sustiva to an alternative antiretroviral agent? Of course, the feasibility of this approach does depend on the previous treatment history and whether any drug-resistant virus is present. However, a simple Sustiva to Isentress switch would seem to be a logical solution.

I hope that this information helps and best of luck to you!

Had unprotected sex 7 weeks ago
Financial assistance for facial wasting