Facial WastingFacial Wasting

% of HIV+ with lipoatrophy?

I recently tested positive and I'm terrified about my physical appearance diminishing as a result of treatment. What percentage of HIVer's experience lipoatrophy over their lifetime?

This is a very difficult question to answer because antiretroviral therapy continues to improve and evolve over time.

Body morphologic changes were much more common as a complication of the earlier medications used for HIV infection. The newer medications that are now available are much less likely to cause this complication.

And if one extrapolates into the future, chances are that the next crop of medications will be safer yet. My guesstimate is that someone starting antiretroviral therapy now or in the next few years might have less than a 10 percent chance of developing lipodystrophy.

I hope that this information helps and best of luck to you!

parotid cysts
Lipoatrophy and other side effects on PEP