Facial WastingFacial Wasting

parotid cysts

My question is regarding HIV/AIDS related parotid cysts.

Are these cysts usually inside the gland?

I had a parotid cyst, which eventually got infected and ruptured. Is this typical of AIDS related parotid cysts? I do have minor cervical lymphadenopathy which leads me to believe they are simply AIDS related cysts but I'm unsure.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Hello, and thanks for posting. Parotid gland enlargement, often with cystic changes, is sometimes seen in patients with HIV infection.

Most of the time, the cysts are within the body of the parotid gland. It is not typical for the cysts to become infected and rupture, although I have seen this complication in several of my patients.

Sometimes there are enlarged lymph nodes in the neck associated with the parotid enlargement, especially in patients who have untreated HIV medications. When antiretroviral therapy is started in the situation, often the parotid glands get smaller and the lymph nodes resolve.

Good luck!

biodentical hormone - testosterone?
% of HIV+ with lipoatrophy?