Facial WastingFacial Wasting

losing muscle mass on Trizivir

I'm 47yrs old male, postive for 9yrs and have been on trizivar since Jan 2001. Recently, I noticed loss of muscle mass around my stomach; lower and upper muscle continue to grow since I workout twice a week. I called my doctor to set up an appointment in 2 weeks. All of my past blood work have been successful (t-cells always 890 to 920). What could be casuing loss of muscle mass? Is it time to change meds?

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Trizivir is an older HIV medication that is not used as much anymore because it contains AZT (zidovudine), and this medication is associated with increased risk of side effects including lipoatrophy and muscle loss.

Based on your observations, it may well be time to change medication. Several studies have shown a changing from AZT to Viread (tenofovir) leads to improvement in lipoatrophy. This would be an important topic to discuss with your doctor.

Good luck!

30 yrs poz on atripla - what now?
Bio-Alcamid overdone?