The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PMMA Facial Fillers

Jan 21, 2009

Is PMMA the only type of permanent filler for facial lipoatrophy? If not, what are the others. Also, I am told there are many different "brands" of PMMA (e.g. ArteFill). Are there studies or anecdotal information about which is best? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello, and thanks for posting.

There are several permanent fillers that are available for treatment of facial lipoatrophy and these include PMMA, silicone, and Bioalcamid.

In the United States, Artefill is the brand of PMMA that is FDA approved. However, it is currently unavailable because the company that manufactures it has declared bankruptcy. Some providers may still have an inventory of Artefill, but this is rapidly being depleted.

Other brands of PMMA include Metacrill, New Plastic, and Artecoll. In addition, there are generic PMMA products that are made available through compounding pharmacies, mainly in South America. Comparative trials suggest that Artefill is the best quality PMMA, although it is extremely expensive.

Silicone is a permanent filler that has been used for facial lipoatrophy, and when micro droplet technique is used, the results are quite good. However, very few providers are expert in this injection technique.

Bioalcamid is available in Canada as a permanent filler. However, the risk of late infection related to this product has dampened enthusiasm for its use.

I hope this information helps and best of luck to you.

Need help on meds

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint