Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Fat injection for lipo?

Dear Doctor: Im on terapy combo since 2000. In 2007 i stoped AZT hoping would recover litle from facial/ leg lipoatrophy. 1,5 year gone, i have no reasons to smile. It still goes on, probably not as fast. So im trying to think real and decid wiselly about what to do now. I'm taking Kivexa and Viramune. I looked for advice on the dermo-plastic medecine area but im still confused: 1)How many years an own-fat filler procedure might last? Is it a reasonable choise once it will cost me about 3600 USD? 2)Is it the best solution? 3)What might i expect? 4)Or should i wait more for a possible return of lost fat? Thanks. Antonio from Portugal

Hello and thanks for posting.

I don't think that fat injections are ready for prime time because of variable response to fat grafting. There are small studies in HIV infected patients that have shown some positive results, but the procedure is rather expensive.

Other fillers, PMMA in particular, offer a more cost effective way to treat facial lipoatrophy. There are diffent brands of PMMA and I don't know which one is available in Portugal. If you live near Lisbon, then Dr. Martin Koschnik would be a good starting point to see what other options are available in Portugal. Here is the contact information. Estrada da Cruz 21-12, dto Lisbon, 1400-422 tel. 35-12 - 1301 2693 clinic@koschnik.net

Good luck!

Lypolysis
lipoatrophy and uridine