Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Does Testosterone Lose Effectiveness

Dr. Pierone,

I have been getting testosterone shots for a little over 10 years, after being diagnosed positive in 1997. In the beginning, the affect was great - more energy, great sex drive, great work outs and muscle growth. I've noticed in the last several years that I don't get the same benefit that I did before. I'm not sure if that can be attributed to age, or the drugs I'm on, or the disease? I've taken just about every combination of HIV drugs on the market. I built a resistance to just about everything, so I'm currently on Selzentry, Isentress and Intelence. Since I've been on these particular drugs for the last several months, I've noticed I hardly receive any benefit from the testosterone shots. Could the drugs I'm currently taking change the way my liver processes stuff (including testosterone) and negate the effect of testosterone? Have you ever heard of the shots becoming less effective (in time) for individuals who receive injections over a long period of time? I've even tried the gel and after a few weeks that stops working for me all together. I look forward to your answer, thanks!

Hello and thanks for posting.

It is possible that there may be an interaction since you have noticed a significant difference. If so, blood levels of free testosterone might be reflective of lower levels, and might be an indication for dosage increase.

Good luck!

forehead is getting bigger
medication for facial wasting