The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Nov 2, 2008

I have currently had 5 Sculptra treatments...and probably 5 or so to go...happy with that...BUT, what to do about the hips (or lack thereof)???? Are there treatments? My butt is just as bad as the pictures that one sees!! Thanks for any light that can shine on my problem.

Response from Dr. Pierone

The options for buttock atrophy are limited. Traditional silicone buttock implants may produce a good result, but may also produce a not so good result with discomfort, and a suboptimal aesthetic outcome. The cost of $15,000 and upwards is also a significant disincentive to have this procedure.

PMMA (poly methyl methacrylate) is a permanent filler that does seem to work well for buttock atrophy treatment. This agent may be used for large volume filling that is needed for correction of the significant loss of volume in this area. PMMA is injected into the muscle of the buttocks and also the subcutaneous tissue. This agent is not available in the U.S. so patients may travel to have treatments performed in Mexico or Brazil.

I visited Dr. Luis Casavantes in Tijuana and he is quite skilled and an expert in the use of PMMA for buttock reconstruction. This is a link to his web site. The cost of this treatment depends on the volume needed, but is often in the $5000 range.

I hope that this information helps and best of luck to you!

Do I have facial lipo?
finding a GOOD Dr for Facial wasting in the bay area

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint