Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Artefill/Serostim
Oct 12, 2008

Hi Dr. Pierone, I have one suggestion and one question. My suggestion is that you consider recommending Artefill to people who are considering injectable fillers to correct facial lipoatrophy. It worked really well for me and it's supposed to last for about 10 years. My question is what is your clinical experience with using Serostim to combat intra-abdominal lipodystrophy and do you have any suggestions as to how to get insurance to pay for it? Do you know if it will be approved for this purpose in the future? (presently it's only FDA-approved for wasting, not lipo)

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting.

I think Artefill is a terrific product and works quite well for HIV facial lipoatrophy (although it is off label). But the reason that it does not come up much in discussion is really related to the cost. The cost of Artefill to U.S. physicians is about $600 per 0.8 ml syringe. The typical charge to patient per syringe is $1200 (although we charge $800/syringe when doing multiple syringes). To correct moderate facial lipoatrophy takes at least 10 syringes so this would be a minimum of $8000 to $12,000.

Both Sculptra and Radiesse have patient assistance programs (which 90 percent of our patients qualify for) and this enables us to offer treatment that is affordable. However, for those who do not qualify for the patient assistance program an argument could be made that Artefill might be more cost-effective in the long run. It is a permanent product and thus has long-term durability. Sculptra tends to last longer than Radiesse, but there are scant long-term data (greater than 2 years) yet for all of these agents.

With regard to Serostim, I doubt that FDA approval will ever happen for lipohypertrophy (even though it clearly works). The company did the studies and approval was denied. I assume that they would have to do most costly trials and they probably will not spend the money to pursue this. Tesamorelin (a growth hormone releasing hormone analogue) is seeking approval for lipohypertrophy so this new competition would be another reason that the company would not move forward on additional Serostim trials. I have not been very successful in my attempts to have private insurance companies approve Serostim because of this lack of FDA approval. They typically turn down requests unless the person has HIV-related wasting.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

Previous
facial wasting therapy in Dubai
Next
Doctors in Berlin

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.