Facial WastingFacial Wasting

face lipodostrophy

my doctor has said he is changing one agent of my regime because of evidence of facial wasting.I do not have it and am happy with my regime.cd4 is 1300 and v/l is u/d and my start point was cd4 60. i beleive that if it isnt broke then dont fix it! is facial wasting a common problem and should i be worried?

Also whenever i have my bloods done they always comment about my enlarged red blood cells.Again,should i be worried? many thanks

Response from Dr. McGowan

Facial fat loss (also called lipoatrophy) can be seen in many people on antiretroviral therapy. It may not effect everyone, and studies show very variable rates among different people. The cause is not completely known but genetic predisposition may play a role. Certain medications such as the nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (especially stavudine, didanosine, zalcitabine, and zidovudine) are the main agents associated with lipoatrophy. Some health care providers like to prevent the development of lipoatrophy by switching the medications before lipoatrophy has a chance to develop. Recovery by switching after lipoatrophy is evident may be slow and incomplete. One study indicated that recovery may be less likley after 3 years of continued use of a causative drug. The effects of these drugs on the body may not only be cosmetic, they can also cause serious problems (such as build-up of acid in the blood, known as "lactic acidosis"). Changing medication due to a long-term side effect is a difficult decision to make. It should not have to be done in haste and you should discuss your concerns with your medical provider. The enlarged blood cells are a common effect of medication such as zidovudine. Generally it is well tolerated, but you should be monitored for development of anemia.

Best of luck, Joe

First test - CD4: 237. What now?
Starting Treatment