Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Can face filler be injected over/above cheek implants?

I had surgery for cheek implants in Dec 2001. Great results, but after 7 years I have experienced more facial fat loss leaving depressions above the implants and folds around the mouth.

Is it safe to have a face filler (Sculptra, to be specific) injected above and around the implants?

I remember when I had the surgery, my doc said that if I were ever to have upper dental arch work requiring injections, I was to get on an antibiotic, before the dental work, in case the dentist shot into the implant. Now I'm hesitant to any injections in the cheek area.

It is possible (and sometimes necessary) to use facial fillers overlying an implant. The risk of infection with injections done through the skin is much lower than injections from inside the mouth (which is crawling with bacteria).

However, the risk of infection involved with layering a facial filler over an implant is not zero, so for optimal outcome you should see an expert in use of fillers. To my knowledge, there are no studies that have attempted to lower the risk of infection with preventive antibiotics in this setting, but it would not be unreasonable to take a one day course of an antibiotic as a precaution.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

Dr. Casavantes Clinic in Tijuana
Facial Wasting in Lisbon