Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Lipo and Facial Issues -Need a Solution.

33 Year olf Female-No Meds, No drinking, No smoking or any other Bad Habits. Positive for about 1 year: Initially after sero.. loss of Fat in hips, pelvic area, shoulders, knee joints, and eyes, temple, forehead and head shrinkage....

Over months increased fat in stomach,rib cage area, upper arms and back. I physically aged 10 years in less than 3 months- everyone around me is confused, (I always looked much younger than I am).

Will meds help someone like me? Is Head Shrinkage normal with HIV? I am African American, my face is almost translucent in color and I for one am sick of hearing that these changes only occur with people on Meds or, who've had the disease for years!

In your experience, what should be done and what can I expect as a result?

I appreciate your help in advance and Invite others to share their experiences in a situation similar to mine.

I have seen people lose weight and appear to age rapidly after being diagnosed with HIV infection. I have mostly attributed this to the stress and anxiety that often accompany a new diagnosis. Some people also have a primary retroviral syndrome marked by profound inflammation, loss of appetite, muscle wasting, and overall weight loss.

The head shrinkage is almost certainly due to loss of subcutaneous fat in the head, not a reduction in the size of your skull.

One should address any unresolved psychological issues associated with a new diagnosis of HIV by seeking mental health counseling. This recommendation really goes for anyone newly diagnosed with HIV or any other serious medical condition.

Another strategy to deal with these body changes is to embark on a vigorous balanced exercise program with the goals of diminishing fat, building muscle, and improving overall fitness. This should be combined with a balanced, healthy diet that supplies sufficient protein and calories to support muscle growth.

If things do not improve, or if your CD4+ lymphocyte count drops quickly, then starting antiretroviral therapy seems to be a reasonable approach.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

abacavir and heart attacks
prednisone