Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

magace for weight gain?
Jul 31, 2008

hiya i was on the forums of aidsmeds & a lot of poeple on there are using megace for weight gain, i was wondering what you think of this as i have been losing weight again since being on meds. & do you know if they prescribe it n the uk? thanks

Response from Dr. Pierone

Megace (megestrol acetate) does stimulate appetite and weight gain, although the composition of the extra weight is mostly fat and fluid rather than muscle. It has estrogenic effects and this property may translate into erectile dysfunction and diminished libido for men. For these reasons it tends not to be the first agent one would choose to promote weight gain, although it may certainly be useful in some situations.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

Previous
UTI
Next
Facial rash Sculptra

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.