Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Radiesse or Sculptra

Dear Dr. P,

I was wondering if one is preferred over the other. The costs seems to be about the same but it looks like they can perform a more complete filler with the radiesse in one session vs sculptra. Is this correct? Do you have a preference of one over the other? Thanks

Hello and thanks for posting.

I like them both and my personal preference is to use them in combination. Let me explain why.

Radiesse works right away and most people with lipoatrophy would like to have their face restored yesterday, not 6 months from now. Radiesse also appears to be more effective in correcting deeper lines like the naso-labial groove (smile lines). Radiesse does lead to long-term improvement, but does require retreatment to maintain benefit. Although there are no head to head studies with Sculptra, in my experience it does not produce as durable a correction as Sculptra.

Sculptra is not an instant gratification product and several treatments are needed to rebuild facial fullness. However, the results seem to be more durable than Radiesse. There are ongoing long-term studies of Sculptra for facial lipoatrophy and the improvements clearly persist for years.

By using Radiesse and Sculptra together one can achieve rapid correction (from the Radiesse) and durable correction (from the Sculptra). I have not seen any downside from the combined use of these agents (except for the cost of the products).

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

Sculptra nodules
Radiesse experience