Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Face lift best?
Jul 9, 2008

I have only been on Atripla for five months and although it is suppost to be the least likely to cause or contribute to facial wasting I appear to be one of the unlucky ones. My eyes are sinking and my cheeks have no fat left on them. I now have two distinct lines from my nose down to the corner of my lips. I am 49 this fall and am trying to come to terms with "normal aging" and what is Lipo causing. After much reading on this forum and at my age would you agree a full "face lift" is likely to reap the best longest term results? I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada.

Response from Dr. Pierone

No, a face-lift is a last resort for both facial lipoatrophy and the normal aging process.

Face-lift surgery is less commonly performed because fillers (all or any of them) are transforming the facial cosmetic world. The use of facial fillers is expanding rapidly (despite the poor economy) because of lower cost and rapid results. Other reasons the traditional face-lift is dropping in popularity the high cost, inconsistent results, and the "pulled look" that may result.

Although we don't have long-term data on the semi-permanent fillers, they last longer than one year, and may last quite a bit longer. Sculptra in particular is accumulating long-term objective data on durability. If a long-term result is of most importance to you then permanent fillers like silicon or PMMA are options as well.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

Previous
Facial Wasting & Aging
Next
Assistance with Sculptra

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.