Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible Bioalcamid infection
Jul 7, 2008

Your website is very informative, thank you. I had bioalcamid injected while living in Europe. I now live in the United States. I hope you can advise me. Is there any blood test I can take to see if my implant is infected. I visited my dermatologist who injected collegen in two areas where the implant is located 6 weeks ago. Both areas are red and appear a little swollen In one area at the injection site there is a pimple that will not go away. This area feels like it is burnt. My dermatologist said there was no infection, it was roscea. I dont think so. But, I have not been able to locate anyone who uses or is very knowledgible about Bioalcamid since it is not FDA approved. A week ago a boil formed on my thigh. It might not have anything to do with the bioalcamid either. I dont feel sick, have no temperture but if I have an infection spreading I would definitely like to get on medication. I really have no idea what to do and I hope I dont have to fly back to Europe to have a diagnosis. What would you do?? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Pierone

As a general rule, infected implants progressively worsen with increased evidence of inflammation redness, tenderness, and increased warmth because of the closed space nature of these infections. However, there are times when an implant infection will simply smolder with low-grade inflammation.

The two commonly used generic blood tests for infection or inflammation ESR and CRP do not have the sensitivity to prove or disprove a smoldering implant infection.

The boil on your leg is likely not related to an implant infection. Sometimes hair follicle infections (folliculitis) may involve the face and other areas of the skin at the same time, but this says nothing about a potential facial implant infection.

The two clinicians most experienced with Bioalcamid near the United States are Frank Beninger in Toronto and Luis Casavantes in Tijuana. Depending on where you live in the United States, there are probably some doctors who have experience managing a Bioalcamid infection since quite a few Americans have had Bioalcamid injections over the past decade. If you emailed a picture of your facial inflammation to Dr. Casavantes he might be kind enough to give you a long-distance opinion.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

Previous
Lipo from the virus itself
Next
fat & muscle loss please help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.