Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Bio-Alcamid infection

I have a Bio-Alcamid infection. It's not mild. I've already had one abscess incised and drained. My doc is leaving me on oral antibiotics unless another abscess develops, because he says unless there's an abscess, oral antibiotics will clear it up.

I'm confused. I thought antibiotics can't reach Bio as it has no blood supply - it's encapsulated. Doesn't that mean all the infected Bio needs to be removed?

I would also like to know exactly where all the Bio in my face is and which parts are infected. Which imaging modality is best for this?

Many thanks.

Bio-Alcamid is generally injected into discrete areas that don't connect with each other. So an abscess in the left cheek would not necessarily connect with a Bio-Alcamid depot in the temple or jawline. Only the infected implant needs to be drained to clear the infection. An infected implant is self-evident because there is swelling, redness, tenderness, and sometimes there is purulent drainage. After drainage, antibiotic pills are prescribed to help mop up the infection.

A facial CT scan or MRI would both be able to identify all the areas of Bio-Alcamid. The CT scan would be less expensive, but would involve some radiation exposure. However, the surgeon who did the original implants should be able to tell you where the implants were injected.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

Lipoatrophy Without Meds
Kaletra and Lipo,