The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Bio-Alcamid infection

Jul 4, 2008


I have a Bio-Alcamid infection. It's not mild. I've already had one abscess incised and drained. My doc is leaving me on oral antibiotics unless another abscess develops, because he says unless there's an abscess, oral antibiotics will clear it up.

I'm confused. I thought antibiotics can't reach Bio as it has no blood supply - it's encapsulated. Doesn't that mean all the infected Bio needs to be removed?

I would also like to know exactly where all the Bio in my face is and which parts are infected. Which imaging modality is best for this?

Many thanks.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Bio-Alcamid is generally injected into discrete areas that don't connect with each other. So an abscess in the left cheek would not necessarily connect with a Bio-Alcamid depot in the temple or jawline. Only the infected implant needs to be drained to clear the infection. An infected implant is self-evident because there is swelling, redness, tenderness, and sometimes there is purulent drainage. After drainage, antibiotic pills are prescribed to help mop up the infection.

A facial CT scan or MRI would both be able to identify all the areas of Bio-Alcamid. The CT scan would be less expensive, but would involve some radiation exposure. However, the surgeon who did the original implants should be able to tell you where the implants were injected.

I hope this information helps and best of luck!

Lipoatrophy Without Meds
Kaletra and Lipo,

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint