Facial WastingFacial Wasting

facial swollen glands

I have been positive for 20 years and have tried various cocktails. My disease seems to be under control, good T cells , undetectable viral load. I had a problem with facial wasting that was resolved with filler injections however the areas on both sides of my face under the ears and around my jaw bones are swollen . This makes me look different and not natural. Any idea what the cause may be and and if there is a treatment for this problem? thank you

The area you are describing is In the vicinity of your parotid glands. Parotid enlargement is a potential complication of HIV infection and your doctor should be able to tell you if your parotids are the issue. If so, referral to an ENT doctor may be a consideration. If you do have unexplained parotid gland swelling then sometimes low dose radiation therapy may be effective in improving this problem.

Good luck!

hi Dr. Pierone from old patient
Wasting, Potbelly and hip problems