Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Wasting, potbelly and back pain

I was diagnosed 2000, have been on Viramune and Combivir, now I am on Truvada and Sustiva. I loosing fat on my fore arms,legs and butt and my veins are protruding. My belly has also increased alot. Last week I started having alot of pain in my lower back.Do you have any advice on what I should do or which doctors may help me improve my self esteem? Thanks.

Hello and thanks for posting.

It sounds like you have a mixed type of lipodystrophy with both lipoatrophy of the face and extremities and excessive fat deposition of you abdomen. Back pain is an extremely common condition and one would be hard-pressed to relate it to lipodystrophy.

You already have switched your regimen and it may take more time for the lipoatrophy to improve. For facial lipoatrophy, the various fillers really work and offer an option to regain a more normal appearance. There are few options available (other than switching medications) for the management of peripheral lipoatrophy.

Your HIV specialist should hopefully be able to provide some guidance for referrals. If this does not work out then perhaps the local AIDS service organization may be able to help you.

Good luck!

pediatric/adolescent lipoatrophy
Fat accumulatioin other than facial