May 17, 2008
my 12 year old has lost fat in her arms and her face. we finally changed her from d4t after 10 years, but now on combivir. after 18 mos, seems to have stopped further fat loss, but it does not seem to be reversing. will it? Can she regain that fat or are the fat cells gone forever?
Response from Dr. Pierone
The fat cells are not gone forever and lipoatrophy is certainly reversible to some degree. If your daughter switches from AZT (contained in Combivir) to Viread this has been shown to restore fat loss to a greater extent.
Thanks for posting and best of luck!
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Should I Get Tested After Needle Stick?
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes After Giving Oral Worried I Have HIV
- Rash After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Penis After Oral Sex Hooker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- After Being Exposed To Hpv How Long Does It Take For Signs Of Cervical Cancer To Appear
- How Often Does Chlamydia Cause You To Be Sterile In Women?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.