The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Regarding surgery

May 14, 2008


I have wasting and fat accumulation. I live in Scandinavia. The HIV rate is rather low here and therefore surgeons don't have proper experience. I know this cause I have been to several consultations.

I have three questions:

When doing liposuction, should it be done by a surgeon who has experience with fat from HIV patients, and should it be done with ultra sound?

Maybe you won't be able to recommend a surgeon who mainly works with HIV patients but could you please direct me to a country where they do have alot of experience?

Last question is what are the best fillers for arms and legs with least side effect?

Thank you. I hope you can answer my questions.

Sincerely pesar

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting.

When choosing a surgeon for liposuction, there are two major considerations. The first is to find a surgeon with experience and skill performing liposuction. The second is to find a surgeon who is ok working with HIV patients and is not biased or condescending.

Whether to use ultrasound or not is open for discussion and depends on the region to be treated. I cannot make a specific recommendation, but most metropolitan cities have quite a few surgeons with liposuction expertise.

The best filler for arms and legs is probably PMMA, but this is based on limited data and no comparative studies.

Good luck!

should I simply eat more?
facial fat loss, slight paunch on Combivir

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint