Facial WastingFacial Wasting

should I simply eat more?

I am a 29 yo male who recently seroconverted. During my seroconversion, I lost about 8 pounds overall with visible wasting on my face. I have been really careful with my diet ever since and gained most of the pounds back but it did not help much with my face. My face still looks thin, my cheeks are sunken though I recovered my overall normal weight. Is this normal in the setting of HIV infection? I am only recently infected but it seems like I am experiencing early facial wasting. Should I simply eat more? I am not on treatment yet, my lab values are in the normal range. Thanks a lot.

Hello and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis of HIV. It would be very unusual to develop facial lipoatophy early on in the absence of antiretroviral treatment. It seems more likely that the facial thinning is related to your weight loss and stress. It sounds like you still have some weight to gain back to return to normal and your facial appearance will likely return to normal.

Good luck!

d4t for AZT?
Regarding surgery