Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

should I simply eat more?
May 13, 2008

I am a 29 yo male who recently seroconverted. During my seroconversion, I lost about 8 pounds overall with visible wasting on my face. I have been really careful with my diet ever since and gained most of the pounds back but it did not help much with my face. My face still looks thin, my cheeks are sunken though I recovered my overall normal weight. Is this normal in the setting of HIV infection? I am only recently infected but it seems like I am experiencing early facial wasting. Should I simply eat more? I am not on treatment yet, my lab values are in the normal range. Thanks a lot.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis of HIV. It would be very unusual to develop facial lipoatophy early on in the absence of antiretroviral treatment. It seems more likely that the facial thinning is related to your weight loss and stress. It sounds like you still have some weight to gain back to return to normal and your facial appearance will likely return to normal.

Good luck!

Previous
d4t for AZT?
Next
Regarding surgery

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.