The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How to not look like Bozo the clown

May 6, 2008

Living with Hiv/Aids for 14 years. I am drug experienced with all classes of meds, and have suffered with the fat loss for years. My face annouces the disease, and causes me to not want to be seen. I am tired, and not up for another fight with the insurance company to try facial fillers. I also don't want to be the one who ends up looking like Bozo the clown. Are there consultants that can determine which treatments are best for my facial structure/loss, and are the pharmecutical companies willing to lend assistance without having to be in poverty?

Response from Dr. Pierone

Sorry to hear about your predicament.

The facial fillers are extremely effective for treatment of facial lipoatrophy and their use clearly translates into improved appearance and quality of life.

In the United States both Sculptra and Radiesse are approved and both companies (Dermik and Bioform) have patient assistance programs that make these therapies available. To avoid a poor aesthetic outcome the key is to find a careful and experienced clinician to do the injections. Both companies also have a provider listing on their web sites and many AIDS service organizations can provide guidance and recommendations for a referral.

Thanks for posting and best of luck!

Hard Belly lipohypertrophy
Wasting vs Viagra

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint