Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Will facial wasting reverse?

Dear Dr. Pierone, From the answers you give on many emails it appears that the major culprit in causing facial wasting would be AZT. I have been on regimens for many yeas now that almost always included AZT and indeed my face shows signs of wasting. In actual fact I have sort of grown accustomed to this face with the sunken cheeks, but obviously I would prefer to look better than I do now. Since two weeks now I have been put on a regimen that does not include AZT. Since my lypodystrophy has existed already many years is the chance that I get my "normal" face back existent or nil? Thank you for enlightening me and thanks for the good work that is still being done on The Body.com. Robert from Holland

Your reading is correct; the major culprit in your case is AZT. Since your lipodystrophy has existed for many years chances are that it will not correct to a major extent. A recent study presented at the Retrovirus meeting showed better fat restoration when patients were switched from AZT to Viread before 3 years of AZT exposure. There was improvement seen in patients who had been on AZT for many years, but not as much.

So you probably will need adjunct treatment with facial fillers to rebuild your sunken cheeks. Your clinician should be able to provide some guidance as to which agents are available in Holland.

Thanks for posting and good luck!

The hump
I want my weight back