The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Under the Eye Wasting - what to do?

May 1, 2008

I notice my wasting under my eyes. I have tried Sulptra -- but it is expensive and minimal results. Any other ideas

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello, and thanks for posting.

The area under the eyes can be a tricky area to treat. The skin is often thinner in this area and sub-dermal injections with Sculptra, Juvederm, or Restylane may end up producing nodules or dermal irregularities. This is a very unforgiving area for injections which are not precisely placed. Probably one of the most common mistakes made by clinicians new to facial injections involve the under eye area and the typical problems involve nodules.

In my opinion, the best treatment strategy for this region is injection of Radiesse to a deep location right on top of the orbital ridge facial bone under the eye. Depending on the exact location of the atrophy, this filler can be injected through the mouth in order to get the product to the desired location. Or the injection approach may be from the side cheekbone.

The notion of doing Radiesse filler injections through an intraoral approach freaks a lot of people out when they first hear about it, but it is one of the most effective ways to use this agent. There is actually less pain with this approach compared with injections through the skin and there is much less bruising. This is an advanced injection technique, but one could argue that experienced injectors should be the ones tackling the under eye region anyway because of the challenges posed by this location.

I hope that this information helps and best of luck!

BioAlcamid and PMMA
Bio alcamid and risk of infection

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint