Facial WastingFacial Wasting

When does Facial Wasting start taking place?

Hi Dr. Pierone!

I was just curious to know when to actually start expecting 'facial wasting' to start taking place? I have been on Atripla for almost a year and half. What's really scary to me is, I am only 24 years old now. Hopefully, I am still looking to have a long, healthy life if the medications continue to be as effective as they have been in the past and are currently. Thanks for your time and regards to my question.:-)

JN

Facial wasting is not an inevitable complication of HIV treatment. I have many patients who have been on antiretroviral therapy for over 10 years and don't have a trace of facial lipoatrophy.

What they do have is a face and body 10 years older than when they started. So the prudent lifestyle choices that mitigate the effects of aging certainly apply. These include regular exercise, good diet, adequate sleep, avoiding drugs and alcohol, use of sunblock, no smoking, etc.

Atripla is arguably one of the regimens least likely to produce lipoatrophy and currently the best overall regimen for treating HIV infection.

Thanks for posting and best of luck!

What can be done after the fact for facial lipoatrophy?
Which Meds Cause Loss of Facial Fat