Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Can lipodystrophy be reversed even with drug resistant virus?

Hi Gerald,

I am a long-term HAART patient w/ a very resistant strain of HIV. I have been on just about everything! I am currently on Invirase,Kaletra,Trizivir & Resscriptor for approx. 20 months. The good news....for me....my CD-4 and V.L. are stable. Although I have had various forms of Lypo in the past....I am feeling the "belly" thing starting and facial wasting. My question is this...does it reverse itself after a med switch?

Thanks in advance for your time and energy!

J

Hello and thanks for posting.

Lipodystrophy does tend to reverse after the offending agent is stopped.

Since you have a resistant strain of HIV your situation is more challenging. As a generalization, protease inhibitors have been linked to abdominal lipohypertrophy and certain nucleosides (AZT in Trizivir as an example) are associated with lipoatrophy.

So based on your resistance pattern and overall status, if a switch is feasible at this time, it might be able to lessen the risk of progressive body shape changes.

Good luck!

Reversing or Treating Fat redistribution.
Wasting on current regimen?