Facial WastingFacial Wasting

facial fat loss 4 months after infection

I was infected in January, currently not on treatment. Over the past few months, I have lost almost 8 pounds, my cheeks have sunken visibly. Is it normal to have facial lipoatrophy during the course of early hiv infection in treatment naive patients? I cannot tell if my cheeks are sinking because hic is causing lipoatrophy or I am just losing weight overall because of stress? Thanks very much for your valuable time.

Hello and thanks for posting.

It really is not common to have facial lipoatrophy early in the course of HIV infection. Weight loss due to stress and angst is quite common however. Hopefully things will improve with time.

Good luck!

What can I do about facial wasting?
Reversing or Treating Fat redistribution.