Facial WastingFacial Wasting

What can I do about facial wasting?

HI Dr. Pierone, I've been on Crixivan since 2000 & Retrovir & Viread since 2002. In the last year, I have lost fat in my face & it is starting to worry me. I am shy about being in public & this had made it worse. I have insurance, what kind of procedures or medication can I persue to help look better. Thanks. JJ.

Hello and thanks for posting.

There are two strategies you should consider.

The first is to talk with your clinician about changing your regimen to a better one with less risk of lipodystrophy. This means getting rid of the AZT (Retrovir) and Crixivan. The Viread is least likely to cause problems, but needs to be paired with some other medications. If you do not have drug-resistant virus, then Atripla may be an option.

The other thing you can do is to consider injections with Radiesse and Sculptra. These approved agents specifically treat facial lipoatrophy. Most insurance plans do not cover them, but both companies have patient assistance programs which may be available to you.

Good luck!

Want to reverse Sculptra
facial fat loss 4 months after infection