Facial WastingFacial Wasting

fat accumulation

Hi, I have had hiv for 8 years and have been taking meds since then. I have changed my medications since I got wasting all over the body and also fat accumulation on back and stomache. I had liposuction done and it has improved alot. However I have to take care of my weight. As soon as I gain any weight it directly showes on my neck and back(buffelo hump). Why is this so? Then when I go on a diet it dissapears. My question why do I mainly gain weight on my neck and upper?

Some of the HIV medications, especially protease inhibitors, may lead to fat accumulation in unusual areas. Researchers have not pinpointed the reason why, but clearly it may occur. Depending on the regimen you are taking, and previous viral resistance testing, there may be a switch strategy that would control viral replication and lessen the chance of fat accumulation. Thanks for posting and best of luck!

What medications will allow me to avoid losing my face?
fat accumulation follow up