Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Muscles wasting on AZT

Dear doctor, I have been now for almost three years HIV + and initially I had some difficulty tolerating the medications, now I am on a combination for 4 moth, of twice a day 2x200/50mg Kalitra, lopinavir/ritonavivr. 1x twice a day Retrovir zidovudine 250mg + Onece a day Kivexa Abacavir 600mg (as sulfate) Lamivudin 300mg. And to manage the diuria twice a day 2x gastro stop.

Above combination I have lost most of my butte and arms, legs muscles, would you know which medication is responsible for this side effect, and should I change medication.

Thanking you George

Hello and thanks for posting.

The culprit in this regimen with regard to the body changes is AZT (zidovudine, Retrovir) and it should be stopped or these side effects will continue to progress. The Kaletra is probably causing the diarrhea. Unless you have developed drug-resistant virus there is no need for the AZT anyway since 3 active agents is generally enough to control viremia.

Good luck!

weight loss after switch?
facial wasting on Combivir