Facial WastingFacial Wasting

weight loss after switch?

Dear Dr. Pierone, I read with interest the answer to a former question regarding d4t and progressive weight loss after switching medications. Are there any remedies to that complication after switching to a more fat friendly regimin? If there isn't I fear the consequences. Thankyou for your help.

Hello and thanks for posting. I am not sure which post you are referencing so I will answer in general terms. In general, when d4T (Zerit) is stopped and a new medication is substituted (Viread most often), things get better and lipoatrophy improves. If things do not improve, then another explanation for the lack of progress should be sought. But sometimes there is no clear reason forthcoming and we just have to accept that a drug switch may not fix the problem. In this case, treatment of facial lipoatrophy with filling agents such as Radiesse and Scultpra is still often very helpful. Good luck!

pot belly
Muscles wasting on AZT