Facial WastingFacial Wasting

should I switch to avoid lipoatrophy?

What do you think about switching off a medication that is working but is thought to cause lipoatrophy? I've been on Combivir and Sustiva for two years and my numbers are good. However, I'm worried about problems down the line, since I've read that the AZT in the Combivir can cause fat loss. Should I just leave my regimen be and hope for the best? Or is it okay to switch?

It is ok to switch this regimen to Truvada and Sustiva (or Atripla one tablet nightly). This change has a very high likelihood of success and should also lessen the risk of developing lipoatrophy. In fact, a recent study called SWEET supports this exact approach. This trial was recently presented at the 2008 Retrovirus meeting and showed that patients who switched from Combivir and Sustiva to Truvada and Sustiva had improvements in fat loss. Here is the link to the study report.

Thanks for posting and good luck!

Weight gain to counter d4T wasting?
Tired of looking like a corpse