Facial WastingFacial Wasting

good combo?

I have been on reyataz and epzicom for about three months. So far so good side effect wise. I was wondering what is known about the long term side effects of these drugs. Do they cause lipoatrophy in the face or something else I should watch for? thanks

Response from Dr. Conway

The combiantion of atazanavir, abacavir and lamivudine is an excellent one to take. If you take the pills, the likelihood of them producing a good virologic response is quite high. As for side effects, the only issue would be the possible hypersensitivity reaction associated with abacavir. If you have been on your medications for 3 months now and it has not occurred, you are home-free with respect to this. As for lipoatrophy, there are no data to suggest that this should be a significant problem at all with this combination. In fact, the long-term side effects of Reyataz/Epzicom should not be a problem in any way. Good luck...

lipoatrophy
Medications