Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Biopolymer for facial filling

I am an experienced HIV treater, and I have been referring patients to an out of town visting cosmetologist very experienced in administration of Biopolymer which I think is an organic/silicone based substance produced in different viscosities for facial injection. I also believe manufactured in Switzerland...but not 'legal' yet in USA, but used in many other North and South American and European salons and cosmetic emporia and plastic surgical places..and may be, in fact, in study here... Can you give me the latest you can find about this substance? Any pro's and cons? I have >20 patients who've had such Non-fDA approved treatments with excellent 3-5 year long term benefits..and expense is much much less than just 2 Sculptura treatments which costs $1,000 a session...and lasts just a year or so only. Thanks

Response from Dr. Conway

The main issue, in my mind, is not so much the substance that is being used, but the skill of the surgeon doing the work. All compounds, FDA approved or not, that have been approved somewhere and have been used extensively have the potential to produce similar results, in the right hands. The benefits should last much more than a year. When I choose to refer my patients to a surgeon, I first make sure he/she has geenrated good long-term results in the type of patient I am sending to them before I proceed with the referral. You may ask to see "before and after" pictures of actual patients this person has treated (the "after" being 18 months or more after) to make you feel more comfortable that you are doing the right thing for your patients.

Scared
low testosterone and hiv.