Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Unsure of what to expect

Hi Doctor.. Im a 23 year old straight male, i tested positive 3 months ago but have not started meds yet. I've found this forum very helpful at answering any questions i may have had. I just wanted to know regardless of what meds you go on will lipodystrophy happen? This scares me greatly as i've not told my family and only a few well trusted friends know about me. Thanks

Many of the newer HIV regimens have low rates of lipodystropy= most patients don't have much of a problem over the first several years of treatment. I often start patients off in an aggressive regimen and then once the virus is fully suppressed switch around to find the easiest and most body friendly regimen for that particular patients. I am seeing less and less fat and lipid problems in the setting of many regimens that ultimately don't contain a thymidine analogue such as D4T or AZT. KH

Extremely tired and loosing weight
physician husband stuck w/infected needle