Facial WastingFacial Wasting

subcutaneous lumps in torso and arms

ABJECT CONFUSION. Please answer: Poz since 1995. Co-infected with HCV. Over the last 5 years, I've noticed the growth of hard, subcutaneous lumps in my lower torso and on my arms. My taciturn ID, the only one available in my area, gives me only vague explanations, telling me that I shouldn't be concerned. The lumps are both painful and unsightly. Can you tell me the cause of these lumps? Otherwise, my health is stable.

Thank you for your service,

Michael

Response from Dr. Moyle

Dear Michael, I have occasionally seen lumps in persons with lipodystrophy but they are generally not painful. Most often they have been lipomas, fatty overgrowths. I have also seen lumps with syphilis, something your doctor can easily check for with a blood test. However, in generaly, I think it is a good idea to get one removed to confirm what exactly they are, that can then point to ways of treating the problem

Once you had on biopsied/removed an know the pathology, please ask another question and we can discuss management.

Kind regards

Graeme Moyle

Perpetuation of lipoatrophy
Treatment for the first time