Facial WastingFacial Wasting

viread and lipoatrophy -lipodistrophy

Dear Dr. G. Moyle : I was taken AZT/VIDEX/VIRAMUNE for a year and 6 months I developed lipoatrophy in my face ,legs and buttocks.....My Doctor just put me in a new combo VIREAD/3TC/EFAVIRENZ. But after reading some of your answers to other people i understand that taken VIREAD i got about 3% chances of developing lipoatrophy-lipodistrophy .. that really worry me sick.Can you please help to put my mind at rest..... Would it be better for me to switch from VIREAD to ABACAVIR or any other to be SURE about not having any more lipo-problems ? I really would appreciate your answer and in the name of the HIV community would like to THANK YOU for the great service you provide us.

Alan

Response from Dr. Moyle

The 3% rate with tenofovir was over 3 years and compared with a 19% rate with d4T. Abacavir has not been studies over 3 years but there have also been cases of lipodystrophy described in persons taking abacavir so there is no need to consider switching. Overall we believe (although the evidence is currently better with abacavir) that switching AZT or d4T to abacavir or tenofovir will allow fat to recover so please stick with what you have done and be patient...it will take more than a year to notice regained fat.

I hope this clarifies things for you

regards

Graeme Moyle

Oxandrin / Fascial wasting
Sculptra and Insurance