Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I need to ask about facial treatments Anna Love
Mar 20, 2004

Hi Nelson, It's John Hutson , the guy that worked with Dr Michael Dullnig on Lobbying to get European Steroids into America. And I'm also a friend of Michael Mooney. I hate to say this but my face looks sunken and sharp. I want to get someone great to "plump it up". Who would you reccomend? Money is a concern. Do you know if Blue Cross will pay for any of this, I have a private policy. I live in DC but will fly anywhere to get it done right. Thanks Nelson, Love John Hutson(yet another Lazarus!)

Response from Mr. Vergel

Dear Jon:

How are you! Wow, I have not heard from you or seen you in a long time.! Yes, you were Dr X's best friend! I think he would be proud to see the work that we have done after his death, I hope.

Is your facial wasting mild, moderate, over-moderate or severe (4 grades).? For the two last grades, Bio-Alcamid (Anna Love www.clinicestetica.com)or Silikon 1000 ( Dr Derek Jones in Los Angeles, Dr Hal Brody in Atlanta, or Dr Orentreich in NYC) are the best bets, in my opinion. Bio-Alcamid can be injected in larger quantities, so you will need one to two sessions in most cases. Silikon 1000 is injected in microdroplets and it can take 4-6 sessions. Both seem to be permanent and I have heard equally good comments from patients in my lipodystrophy yahoo group of 730 members.

The cost for Bio-Alcamid is a flat fee of $4500 and they require half up front, no credit cards. The cost of Silikon 1000 is around 700 per session, depending on the doctor.

For the two first grades (mild to moderate), NewFill (Sculptra in the US) may be a good option. This procedure requires 4-6 sessions, and a touch up every 15-18 months. It is not premanent, but this may be a good thing if your fat slowly returns like the studies are starting to indicate after a switch of Zerit to Ziagen or Viread. This product may get approved soon and there will be a patient assistance program set up for people with low income and no insurnace/Medicare/Medicaid. Dermik, the company who owns the rights of Sculptra, is also working hard at getting reimbursement for this procedure. The total cost for 5-6 sessions of Sculptra will probably be around $5,500, but pricing has not been set. Currently, some doctors are using NewFill imported through DAAIR and charging $800 per session (product included). NewFill (Sculptra) is the option with more HIV related data. But keep in mind that we have no long term data of over 5 years with any of these products, so it is a risk we are taking when we decide to get our faces injected.

More information here: www.facialwasting.org

I hope to see you in the near future!

Nelson

Previous
about deca
Next
Testim and Chest pain

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.