Facial WastingFacial Wasting

'' New Fill '' Statement.

Dear Dr Moyle,I am a British man living in Holland,I will be seeing my insurance company over here next month for a hearing in regards to them paying for a ''new fill '' treatment on my face.They have already started playing games,they are trying to say that my wasted face due to Lipodistrophy is only psychological and that there aren't any products available that could be a permanent answer to my problem.So I was wondering if you know of any official positive statements made recently by any establishment in the UK or International in regards to '' new fill ''.I need something written down to wave in front of the people's faces ( how ironic is that ? )from the insurance company that will make them wake up and realise how real and devastating the problem is and that there are answers to it ? Cheers,Roger (Aged 43 )

Response from Dr. Moyle

Dear Roger, please try the following... Valantin MA, Aubron-Olivier C, Ghosn J, et al. Polylactic acid implants (New-Fill)(R) to correct facial lipoatrophy in HIV-infected patients: results of the open-label study VEGA.AIDS. 2003 Nov 21; 17(17): 2471-7 Caye N, Le Fourn B, Pannier M. Surgical treatment of facial lipoatrophy][Article in French]: Ann Chir Plast Esthet. 2003 Feb; 48(1): 2-12. Power R, Tate HL, McGill SM, Taylor C. A qualitative study of the psychosocial implications of lipodystrophy syndrome on HIV positive individuals.Sex Transm Infect. 2003 Apr; 79(2): 137-41 Blanch J, Rousaud A, Martinez E, etal. Impact of lipodystrophy on the quality of life of HIV-1-infected patients.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2002 Dec 1; 31(4): 404-7 There will be also shortly out and article by Moyle et al in HIV medicine describing Newfill treaamnet and psychological and quality of life benefits. All these can be found via http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/

I believe there is also some mention made in the BHIVA guidelines available via www.aidsmap.com

Basically, as lipoatrophy is a consequence of treatment, like say neuropathy or high lipids, it should be treated for funding purposes in the same way. No one would deny pain relief for neuropathy....

regards

Graeme Moyle

lipo hell
New-Fill versus Bio-Alkamid