The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Facial WastingFacial Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Facial wasting/ surgery

May 8, 2008

I've suffered from facial wasting. Had fat injected in New York by a doctor (I don't recommend it). I've seen Dr. Serra in Rio. One treatment wasn't enough. Now I've had a course of 5 treatments with New Fill which made my face look a lot better. However, I wonder if a plastic surgery, like 3-D facial implants, would be a good permanent solution, especially since now I am on different medications. Or is there anything that can be done as a plastic surgery and be permanent?

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello and thanks for posting.

I think that there may be a role for facial implants based on individual considerations. These implants are typically not a reliable permanent solution because of thinning of superficial structures. Some patients end up with visible implants or slippage of the implant and need filler therapy over the implants.

There are several agents that are permanent fillers with different performance characteristics. Bioalcamid is a permanent injectable implant available in Canada. PMMA is available in Mexico and Brazil. Medical-grade silicone is available from a relatively small number of providers in the United States. Since these products are permanent they need to be injected by very experienced medical personnel.

I hope this information helps. Best of luck!

belly fat and serostim
Weight Loss

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint