Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Safer sex with condom and pulling out?

My partner has tested + I am -, but very intersted in continuing our commited relationship with sex as part of it. He is very worried of putting me at risk, as you don't if you love someone. It is said that using condoms 100 of the time is safer sex, but if a condom breaks I would be at risk- If my partner pulled out before ejaculation everytime would that make it even safer- since Precum is said to not have alot of HIV in it?

Response from Dr. Remien

It is always challenging for couples to deal with this situation. Consistent and correct use of condoms is very effective in preventing HIV transmission, but will never be a 100% guarantee. And yes, pulling out before ejaculation adds some extra safety. Please visit the "Safe Sex, Prevention, and Transmission" forum on this website. And continue to discuss the issue with your partner. Both of you need to be comfortable with the decisions you make and the sex you have, if you are to be able to enjoy sex and continue to be intimate with each other. And it is VERY possible to do this - many couples do!

gay hiv positive wife sons neg. deal with family secret
partner is hiv+ for 5 years