Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

How fast can it be passed

I have Hep C. My boy friend and I are trying to have a child. How easy would it be to pass the virus to him, and can it affect my child if I do get pregnant??

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Hepatitis C is rarely passed heterosexually. The higher risk activities are sharing razors and toothbrushes. Blood is contagious so don't have unprotected sex during your period, but that is unlikely to lead to pregnancy anyway! As for your baby. The likelihood of passing HCV to your child is about 5% if you are HIV negative and about twice that if HIV +. You may be able to decrease the risk of passing it to your baby like HIV, if you have an elective caesarean section. Good luck! DTD

contracting hiv
gay hiv positive wife sons neg. deal with family secret