Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

non-dedtectable viral load, what is the possibility of infected sperm

I have a non-detectable viral load, what are the chances of my sperm being infected with hiv

Response from Dr. Remien

I cannot give you a "percentage." What you need to understand is this: While a lower viral load can reduce the likelihood of transmission (if there is less virus available, it will be harder to transmit), risk is not eliminated. First off, an "undetectable" viral load does not mean there is no virus present. It just means that it is at a level that is lower than current tests can detect. But it is still present and is still replicating in your system. Second, while there is probably a correlation between the viral load of your blood and the viral load of seminal fluid, it is not always a one-to-one correspondence. In other words you can have a different level of viral replication occuring in these two "compartments." Finally, your viral load is in constant flux and the results you get from any one test is only true of the viral load in your blood at the time the blood was taken. It could be different later that day or different the next day.

Bottom line: lower viral load probably means less chance of transmission, but transmission can still occur.

Virus In Water
contracting hiv